Tree of Life Cabinas is located approximately 3 hours south of the capital, San Jose. When booking your flight, please ensure you are using airport code SJO for San Jose, Costa Rica. We have heard that inattentive guests end up in San Jose, California by mistake!
From San Jose, you can either rent a car (4x4 required), or take another short flight to Quepos on NatureAir or Sansa. Rates vary, but it is usually only $70pp each way, and will save you more than 2 hours of driving. Car rental agencies are available in Quepos as well.
Please check with us BEFORE making a car rental reservation! We have an agreement with a trusted Costa Rican-owned car rental agency that gives a 10% discount to guests of Tree of Life Cabinas - but only if you book through us. Cars can be rented from either San Jose or Quepos.
Detailed driving instructions will be included with your confirmation. For our exact location, here are our GPS coordinates: 9°13'37" N 83°48'58" W PLEASE ONLY FOLLOW OUR DIRECTIONS. GPS SYSTEMS COULD TAKE YOU UP A RAOD THAT IS CLOSED!
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
- Passport and drivers license- check the expiration date...passports must be valid at least 6 months from the departure date on your airline ticket
- Chargers for your personal electronic equipment. Costa Rica uses standard North American outlets - no converters needed if you reside in North America.
- Bug spray. You may need protection on excursions like zip lining or hiking, etc.
- Unscented sunblock and lotions
- Flip flops and hiking sandals - anything that can get wet and will dry quickly
- Hats - baseball caps, visors, fedoras, cowboy hats, big floppy gardening hats -anything that will protect you from the sun
- Sunglasses - especially if you plan to spend any time at the beach or on a boat
- Camera / GoPro - you WILL want to take pictures, right? Waterproof highly recommended for some tours
- Binoculars - even if you're not 'into' birds, you may be by the time you leave
- Waterproof bag - very handy on excursions like waterfalls and kayaking
- Bathing suits
- T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, short sleeved blouses and light skirts... think summer attire. Anything that breathes and allows you to move without restriction
- Light sweater or sweatshirt as evenings can get cool in Green Season (April-November)
- Credit Cards - MasterCard and Visa readily accepted
- US Cash accepted in most places (95%). Cash machines are available in both Dominical and Uvita that dispense both US Cash and local currency (colones).
- Prescription medication - if you forget something, there is a pharmacy in Uvita that can fill most prescriptions on the spot (non-narcotics) at very reasonable prices (probably less than your insurance co-pay)
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- Perfume - biting and stinging insects are attracted to scents, especially florals. Avoid scented hair products and lotions as well, including sunblock
- Blue Jeans and tennis shoes - both get wet easily, and take a long time to dry, and jeans will restrict your movement on excursions. If you want to bring long pants, try light-weave khakis or linen instead.
- Hair dryer - your room comes equipped with one!
- Yoga mat - your room comes equipped with one!
- Expensive jewelry - easily lost, and can make you a target for thieves
- High heeled shoes - there are very few paved surfaces in our area!
- Beach towels - easy to find and inexpensive
- Surf boards - very inexpensive to rent ($8 - $10 a day) and readily available
- Coffee - locally grown Costa Rican coffee is readily available and DELICIOUS, and included in your room